Sunday, August 22, 2010

Welcome!

I'm a nursing student, as you've probably gathered already.  At this point, I'm halfway through my first year in a two-year program, taking the traditional route rather than the accelerated (I'm crazy, not masochistic).

My first rotation was Med-Surg I, or Medical-Surgical for those who haven't experienced this particular torture.  What can I say?  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times has already been taken.  My lecture professor and my clinical instructor both asked us to write reflection papers.  At the time it was difficult to come up with a staggering nursing insight at 2 AM when I needed to get up at 4 and hie on over to the hospital. But now I'm grateful to have a written record of those days.

So I thought I'd share these reflection papers.  Most of you are old friends, many who knocked on the bolted door of the Nursing Cave to see if I was still alive, and too often heard the sound of crickets chirping in response.  Here's what I was up to.

I'm hoping too that I can attract a few other nursing students to this site, or maybe some hapless souls who are thinking of going into this line of work vocation.  Maybe this will give you some idea of what you're in for.  Of course it's like parenting or marriage -- you can read all you want on the subject but until it's actually happening to you, you have no idea what it's like.  

I'd like to stay anonymous here, so those of you who know my by one or more of a legion of names, chuckle knowingly to yourselves and stick to some form of Student Nurse Ninja in the comments.  Thankeesai!

I'll post my first paper tomorrow or Monday. 

1 comment:

  1. Writer. Nurse. Ninja.

    I'm sure announcing your blog on Facebook won't affect you anonymity concerns. FB is really good about preserving privacy.

    ReplyDelete